The ESVS and Copenhagen Certification Programme in Endovascular Aortic Repair – The ENHANCE EVAR Programme
25 October - 27 October
A collaboration between: ESVS Academy; Department of Vascular Surgery, Copenhagen, Denmark; Copenhagen Academy for Medical Education and Simulation (CAMES), Denmark.
“This educational programme focuses on elective endovascular treatment of infrarenal aortic aneurysms (EVAR) and is designed for novices and advanced beginners. The format is mixed e-learning and hands-on training. You will be continuously assessed and will, if you pass, be certified according to the validated standards developed and used in Copenhagen”.
Join: Jonas Eiberg, Professor of Vascular Surgery; Timothy Resch, Professor of Vascular Surgery; Michael Strøm, MD, PhD; Rebecca Andrea Conradsen Skov, MD – and other experts
To obtain technical and non-technical skills in elective infrarenal EVAR, and make pre-trained novices ready to continue their surgical training in the OR under supervision.
ENHANCE is a certifying simulation-based educational programme aiming to prepare vascular surgical trainees to perform EVAR on patients with infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms. ENHANCE consists of mandatory precourse e-learning and 3 intensive days of hands-on training in Copenhagen. We use high-fidelity simulators and the latest evidence within course design, assessment and certification.
Participants will perform case sizing and planning on 3D-sizing stations and complete several EVAR procedures as surgeons and assistants on virtual reality endovascular simulators. Everything is supervised by highly experienced EVAR surgeons guiding the participants through each step of the EVAR procedure. Trainee to trainer ratio is 2:1, ensuring intensive learning and feedback.
- Completing and passing a comprehensive ENHANCE e-learning programme is mandatory before hands-on training in Copenhagen. Accepted participants will receive a link for the modular eL program 3-4 weeks before the hands-on sessions in Copenhagen.
- You will be continuously assessed during the course and will be certified according to the validated standards developed in Copenhagen if you pass.
- We aim to improve our training through research, and data collection for such work may be part of ENHANCE. Data collection will be strictly confidential and comply with GDPR and Danish legislation.
- Participants for ENHANCE will be selected among the applicants based on a survey and interview.
The target group is novices and advanced beginners, typically vascular surgical trainees. Prior basic knowledge of abdominal aortic anatomy is expected. To ensure optimal learning and benefit, completing an online questionnaire and interview is mandatory before a seat can be given. Participants will be paired in teams of two for dyad training based on prior experience.
The course fee is €2000 for ESVS members and €2300 for non-members.
The fee includes certification, 1:2 supervision, course material, simulator and equipment rental, lunch and networking dinner. Transport, accommodation and additional meals are not included. The ENHANCE programme is non-sponsored and non-profit.
CME accreditation is being requested for the ENHANCE programme
For questions on course content, qualifications and whether the course fits your level – please contact course convenor Dr Rebecca Skov: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration process & cancellation policy:
- For registration, please contact Amandine Ravetta – email@example.com – in the first instance, to receive a questionnaire that needs to be completed by August 29th 2022
- Successful applicants will be invited for a virtual interview on 31st August 2022 and notified of their acceptance status on 1st September.
- If successful at this final stage, you will be asked to pay the fee in accordance with your membership status.
The ENHANCE programme depends on a stable COVID-19 situation and a sufficient number of applications. Whether the course will be conducted is announced no later than one month before course start. Travel and accommodation must therefore not be made until this message is given. ESVS is not financially responsible if the event has to be cancelled due to low numbers, in this timeframe. For cancellations received by participants more than 20 days before the event, a refund will be given less an administration fee of 10 EUR. For cancellations received less than 10 days before the event, no refund is possible.
Venue and suggested nearby accommodation (not included):
Copenhagen Academy for Medical Education and Simulation, Copenhagen, Denmark. Five minutes walk from Rigshospitalet and well connected to Copenhagen Airport (Metro, bus, taxi).
Suggested hotel accommodation (not included):
1) Hotel Rye
2) Hotel Nora Copenhagen
3) Hotel Kong Arthur