Ultrasound has been widely implemented as an important tool in the diagnostic armamentarium of vascular clinics across Europe. The ESVS Academy has been organizing basic and advanced hands-on workshops. Therefore, the ESVS Academy has proposed a certification system to certify those individuals who meet the minimum requirements to perform basic vascular ultrasound based on the curriculum of the ESVS-workshops in Barcelona and Copenhagen.
The aim of the Certificate of Competences in Vascular Ultrasound (CCVUS) is to certify the holder with the knowledge and practical skills to perform high-quality ultrasound examinations of arteries and veins.
During this pilot certification process the number of applicants will be limited and the results obtained may help to define the final features of the written and practical exam. Although it is a pilot-certification process, the applicants who pass it will obtain the CCVUS.
To apply for the CCVUS you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be in possession of an active certification or licence in a health-related field (physician, nurse, technician).
- Present an official statement that you have performed more than 100 supervised exams equally distributed among carotid arteries, venous and arterial lower extremity and aortic examinations, signed by the Director of Vascular Lab or Head of Department of Vascular Surgery or Radiology.
- Having performed the minimum number of examinations does not guarantee t passing the exam
The first-time certification process will take place on Thursday 27 September during the Annual meeting of the ESVS in Valencia, in Workshop Room D from 14:00 to 18:00
It will consist of two parts:
- First, a written exam that will consist of 50 multiple-choice questions with one correct answer per five provided responses. (60 minutes) (see appendix for a complete description of the curriculum). Minimum pass mark 70%
- Second, during a practical exam the candidate will have to demonstrate their practical skills when performing two to three vascular ultrasound examinations, that will be evaluated by examiners according to a standardized evaluation form (app 10-15 minutes).
Examination Fee: 25€ (+VAT) Maximum number of candidates in 2018 : 20 PAX
Registration: Please register through the ESVS 32nd Annual Meeting Registration Platform.